Pathways to Opportunity
Pathways to Opportunity and it's affiliated PTO-2-GO program is not closing, as has been circulated online. Goodwill Industries of Southwest Florida remains committed to serving adults with disabilities through our Pathways to Opportunity and Pathways to Work programs and as provider of the Trailways Camp. We continue to innovate and look for new ways to better serve the 81 adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities enrolled in our adult day training program, Pathways to Opportunity.
Pathways to Opportunity is a day training program addressing the gap in services for adults with developmental and intellectual disabilities transitioning from school to employment, secondary education, or living in the community as independently as possible.
The PTO program emphasizes individualized, person-centered outcomes aimed at achieving and maintaining integrated lives in the community. People with intellectual and developmental disabilities should be able to live, work and play in their local neighborhoods and communities.
To this end, our program is outcome driven, focused on ensuring that training results in progress and achievement of the outcomes identified by program participants.
Within a year of its 2014 launch, Pathways to Opportunity reached its full capacity. To meet this need we expanded the program with the goal of being able to serve 75 participants per day by the end of 2019.
Group and one-on-one classes take place Monday through Friday 9:30 am - 3:30 pm at our Opportunity Center located at 5100 Tice Street, Fort Myers FL 33905, as well as in the community. A structured schedule changes on a quarterly basis based on the program participant's interests and needs.
The wide array of classes fit under four main categories:
- Creative Expression (fine arts and performing arts)
- Employment Exploration (employment training and volunteering)
- Recreation (various clubs, sports, and exercise classes)
- Education (life skills for independence)
Participants make decisions on outing locations or projects, budgeting for class supplies needed, and then get to practice money skills when participating in activities. They have established their own book club at local coffee shops, take cooking classes, hired a yoga and Zumba instructor, visited art museums, and become active community volunteers.
Program Photo Gallery
Pathways Pattern (Program Newsletter)
- October 2020 Pathways Newsletter
- September 2020 Pathways Newsletter
- August 2020 Pathways Newsletter
- June 2020 Pathways Newsletter
- March 2020 Pathways Newsletter
- February 2020 Pathways Newsletter
- December 2019 Pathways Newsletter
- August 2019 Pathways Newsletter
- 2019 Pathways Patterns Special Edition 5 Year Anniversary
- July 2019 Pathways Patterns Newsletter
- June 2019 Pathways Patterns Newsletter
- May 2019 Pathways Patterns Newsletter
- February 2019 Pathways Patterns Newsletter
Funding options for Pathways to Opportunity participants include the Florida Medicaid Waiver, scholarships (when available), and private pay options.
For more information about the Pathways to Opportunity Program or to schedule a tour, please contact Director of Disability Support Services Tess Benham at (239) 995-2106 ext. 2228
How to Support Pathways to Opportunity
Participants Success Stories
Pathways to Opportunity Art Program
Support Pathways to Opportunity Artist - Variety of ART for sale!
Check out videos of program theatre performances, choir performances, and Pathways New Network (PNN) and general program videos.
Pathways to Opportunity operates with the support of
- APD - Agency for Person with Disabilities State of Florida
- SunTrust Foundation
- Lee County Human and Veteran Services
- United Way Lee, Charlotte, Hendry & Glades Counties
Thank you for our Community Supporters
Goodwill Industries of Southwest Florida, Inc.'s Registration # is CH1930. A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE 1-800-435-7352 WITHIN THE STATE OF FL. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE. PLEASE VISIT www.800helpfla.com FOR OFFICIAL REGISTRATION INFORMATION AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.